After You Move

Need assistance? Contact us at

Movers customarily take every precaution to make sure that while your shipment is in their possession no items are lost, damaged or destroyed. However, despite their best efforts, articles are sometimes lost or damaged during the move. Or sometimes disputes arise over the charges that were assessed for your move.

If any of your household goods are damaged or lost, report the facts promptly and in detail on the van driver's copy (original) of the inventory sheet before you sign it. Then, file your claim in writing with your mover for any loss or damage that occurred or if you wish to dispute the additional charges that applied for your move. If you are unable to get your claim with your mover settled to your satisfaction, you can use arbitration as a means of obtaining a resolution.

For any dispute with your mover regarding loss or damage that occurred to the articles in your shipment, disputed charges, or general complaints about your move, you should first file a claim with your mover.

*AMSA's arbitration services are available to participating AMSA interstate mover members only.

Loss & Damage Claims

If your mover denies your claim or provides a settlement offer that you are not satisfied with, you may elect to use arbitration* to have your claim resolved.

Arbitration: Disputed Charges

AMSA's Arbitration Program ensures that our members comply with the federal requirement that they must have a formal arbitration program available to resolve their customers’ disputes regarding certain types of disputed charges.

Submitting a Complaint

If you have a complaint with your mover regarding shipment delay or the quality of service that you received during your move or another type of complaint that does not fall within the guidelines for arbitration, you should first file a claim with your mover.